Sunday, December 23, 2018

My Year at CVOEO (1)

November 6, 2018

Prologue


There are many mysteries, puzzles, riddles, and games to entertain the human curiosity, but there are two questions whose answers must be found, questions we are born asking, because without answers we cannot survive.
Who are my people? and
What is my job?
From the time that my family split up, when I was around 18 years old, and I had to work, the many and deep contradictions of my family life descended on me like so many tons of gravel. I tried many jobs, went to many schools, got several degrees, traveled around the US and Canada, in pursuit of meaning, a reason, to be in one place, doing one thing. I didn’t know what I wanted, but I was restless, because I felt rootless, without a home or a place to which I belonged. This was not the search of the hero, it was the search of the wretch, the man who felt worthless and didn’t feel find meaning anywhere or in anything.

People without a family, a community and a few good friends are lonely, and struggle to find meaning. When a person identifies with other human beings, he or she feels protected and supported, receives the comfort of a group.

This report explores the dimensions of community, and the role that CVOEO has, and might have, in the creation of our community.

No comments: